Equipping your business with the right people development tools
So, your organisation has implemented an employee coaching and people development program but you’re struggling to gain the visibility you need to maximise success. Make sure you get the most out of the investment by using the right people development tools to help your program – and your people – stay on course.
Why would you need a people development tool?
There’s many reasons why you’d use tools. Tools can help you to support staff, simplify processes and give leaders valuable oversight on performance uplifts. Let’s look at some of the specific ways the right tools can support your people development:
- Simplify coaching and support your people. If you’ve set up a program centering on one-to-one coaching from a manager or team leader to an employee, congratulations! People development programs that use coaching are proven to be effective at changing the on-the-job behaviours that lift performance. Using a tool to support coaching and increase visibility can simplify the process for your coaches and their teams, meaning that they’re more likely to actually do it.
- Enhance commitment to reaching performance goals. It is easy to get caught up in the day-to-day processes – team members are working to meet targets and team leaders are probably managing several people. It’s far too easy for coaching to drop off the ‘to-do’ list when we’re swamped by deadlines and other priorities. You can make sure that coaching stays a priority for your people by using a tool that sends reminders, supports people and embeds coaching into the day to day.
- Help team leaders track and observe the performance of their teams. To change the outputs, you need to change the inputs. Employee coaching helps employees understand where they need to change behaviours or where they need to demonstrate new skills. This means that team leaders need to understand what their teams are doing and how they’re progressing towards their goals. Give your coaches a tool that makes it easier to track and observe.
- Provide your HR and L&D teams with visibility over where capability is lifting. If your business is investing in employee development materials, training and coaching, it makes sense to understand how the programs are tracking. Are you seeing the corresponding results and lifts in capability? Using a tool that provides visibility over team coaching and tracking of performance goals can help you see where the impacts are – and highlight areas that need attention.
- Make reporting easier. Sick of wrangling data and working with too many spreadsheets? Tools with dashboards and one-click real time reports mean leadership teams have powerful visibility where it matters.
- Support flexible work arrangements. The right tools can make the transition to hybrid work environments simpler and easier to manage, while reassuring leadership that teams are still tracking and prioritising performance development goals.
- Give people power over their development goals. Empower your staff by giving people oversight over their own goals and performance.
What tools should you use?
Staff development tools include the templates and plans that support your people development programs. Your organisation is probably already using templates and metrics focused on annual reviews, including:
- Performance review templates e.g., balanced scorecards & KPI matrices
- Career path maps
- Employee development plans
Employee coaching requires a different approach, including:
- Training skills assessment templates
- Goal setting workflows
- Reminders and notifications
- Systems to record coaching notes, observations and feedback
1-on-1 coaching conversations with direct reports are an important responsibility that can provide lifts you won’t see in formal training. Passing on skills and insights through a culture of workplace coaching requires tools that can:
- easily document and review conversations between team leaders and their people
- note and track behavioural goals
- ensure coaching becomes a habit.
Provide leadership with the reports they need
Reporting functionality can help leadership understand how team members are tracking and if organisational performance programs are working.
Industries in highly regulated sectors may also need tools that aid compliance management, such as conduct risk audit workflows. Ensure that you are investing in software that enables you to easily generate reports that your business needs.
What should you consider when choosing career development tools and people development software?
Make sure you invest in a solution that aligns with your business needs and will be used. Consider the following factors:
- UI and usability: Will staff use it? Is it easy to understand, use and does it have good tech support?
- Flexibility: Can it incorporate your organisational templates without too much bespoke development (or none)? Can it be used on phones and desktops? Can different teams easily use it?
- Reporting and analytics: Are the reports it generates easy to produce and understand? Do they display the metrics your team and leadership are looking for?
- Integrations: Can you integrate other tools?
- Implementation: Is it fit for purpose or customisable for your needs?
- Investment: Is it timely and cost effective? Many systems simply take too long to customise and cost too much to maintain to make the numbers stack up.
Power your people and performance development with YakTrak
At YakTrak we’re a bit different. YakTrak is easy for organisations to embed and sustain and makes it simple for team leaders and team members to get the most out of coaching programs. Get in touch with us today to find out more.